______________________________________________

Copyright of Picture (s)

All pictures on this blog are copyright protected.
Please request permission for the usage of these pictures (in any method or form).
OR
Credit the copied picture (s) to Sam Marine Garden
______________________________________________

Acknowledgements

Here, I would like to express my gratitude and special thanks to Margarida for her chili pepper seeds contributions and unreserved help in chili pepper identifications and information.

I am also extending my thanks to all chili heads out there who have contributed to my chili seeds collection.

______________________________________________


My photo
A horticulture enthusiast. My interest includes chili peppers, tomatoes, tropical orchids and many more. The objective of this blog is focus mainly on pictures of specific species or hybrids.If more information is required on specific species or hybrid, I'm pretty optimistic that you can google them out. Though at times useful links (websites) will be provided on these specific topics. Also do leave a comment if you have any question or would like more information about topics on this blog and I'll get back to you. (Updated 2015, Woodworking as a hobby)

Search Sam Marine Blog

Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Open Seed Bank ,Chili Pepper"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam
That's quite a awesome initiative ! Next mail post I'll send you some seeds for the bank.
I have just one question :
How do you propose to do this ? :
"4. Collected seeds will then be further germinated for vast seed production."
This will be a huge chore ! And I think that the pure seeds that the bank acquires should be preserved like that, so it will be mandatory the isolation of the plants !
What do you think?
** Margarida

Sam Marine said...

From: Margarida M.
Subject: Sam's Seed Bank :)
To: sam_marine2005@yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 1:38 PM

Hi Sam

I already saw your blog and left you a comment.

And there’s another thing… I think seeds can germinate after 2 or 3 years, if well conserved. I germinated peppers from 2006 this year… Isn’t it a pity to destroy all those viable seeds after 1 year ?

Cheers

Have a nice Sunday J

Margarida



Hello Margarida,

Yes, 2nd or 3rd year seeds will germinate but percentage of it being good will drop. I don't want to risk sending not germinate able seeds. Thats why they are discarded when over a year old (no preservation neccessary), hence "Open Seed Back" comes into play where all seeds must go in that one year period.

Some people may not agree with me "handing out seeds for free" especially to those who are involve in seed selling business. But that's their opinion. In reality how much can you make off selling seeds. But then again who doesn't love money. Perhaps those money will be reinvested in buy some cool gadgets such as hydroponics for your plant and some temperature regulator for winter and summer months. Well, I don't require those as I live near the equator and its summer all year round.

Cheerios,
Sam

Sam Marine said...

Hi Margarida,
Lets view it as a daily morning routine before going to work or perhaps weekend routine.

As for the cross pollination prevention/isolation, I'm currently in the middle stages of building a greenhouse 16 feet by 8 feet by 8 feet, it will soon be ready by end of next week.
p/s I'll post a pic of the green house when its ready.

Cheerios,
Sam

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam
I see you are full of enthusiasm, Sam, and that's very nice. But think ! Just speaking for me. I have now more then 500 varieties of peppers at my personal seed bank. Let's suppose I send you 3 seeds of each kind. That makes 1.500 plants. If others send you as much seeds, all together, you'll have at least 3.000 plants to care ! And isolate when the time comes. And harvest, and deseed, and distribute . This is a gigantic operation ! I think that nobody alone could endeavour such a task !
**
Margarida